One of the most common questions we get about our deodorant is if it will cause irritation in users. That’s how we got to this point in the first place. Jess and Sarah tried every kind of natural deodorant available, with zero success and tons of irritation. So, they solved their own problems.
Your body has so many inner workings that it can be thrown off by factors that include your environment, diet or a change in products. Oftentimes, it’s difficult to narrow down the root cause, which is why people have faced frustration with transitioning to natural deodorant. We get that, and we’re here to help give information that will help our customers get the best PiperWai experience.
You may have read our blog about pH imbalances, which are common. Your skin and sweat are naturally acidic, so you want a natural deodorant that is on the alkaline side to prevent odor-causing bacteria. But anything too alkaline will be irritating.
Low Baking Soda Content
What makes PiperWai so different from our natural deodorant competitors is that we don’t rely on high baking-soda content to be effective, like so many other brands and "DIY" deodorant recipes do. Instead, we use activated charcoal and dietary magnesium to do the heavy lifting. Because of the activated charcoal and magnesium hydroxide in PiperWai, our baking soda content is at the threshold of effectiveness without causing irritation, because it's much lower than other natural deodorants on the market.
But do you know why baking soda causes reactions on the body’s surface? It has a lot to do with your body’s pH. Baking soda is very alkaline and in large amounts, can cause your underarm’s pH levels to freak out if there is too much baking soda in a product. Too much baking soda can also cause chafing if it’s combined with certain ingredients and can also throw off the body’s natural pH levels. If a baking soda-heavy brand of natural deodorant irritates you, you aren't necessarily allergic to baking soda, you're just using way too much of it.
While most people transition seamlessly to PiperWai from antiperspirant thanks to the detoxifying powers of activated charcoal, some people may experience a detox period. This is completely normal and natural. It’s your body’s way of saying “Get this crap out of me!” While the body is detoxing, there may be some wetness and odor, but taking care of your pits is the best way to get through that. Detoxing your underarms is simple and many of the helpful items used to detox can be found in your household. Below are our tips for perfect pits:
- We recommend always applying with dry hands to dry skin. Applying to wet or even damp skin can cause the activated charcoal to absorb that moisture, rendering it less effective as you begin to sweat throughout the day. That's one of the reasons we don't recommend adding water to your jar or stick (water will also undermine its shelf life).
- Make sure you reapply after bathing, swimming, or working out.
- Some people find reapplying midday is helpful, especially in the beginning of detox or in the peak of summer.
- Check out this link for a bentonite clay mask that is helpful in speeding along the detox.
- You may also rebalance your underarm pH with apple cider vinegar. (Our favorite brand to use is Filsingers.) Combine equal parts ACV and water (a tablespoon of each should be plenty). Apply this once daily prior to applying PiperWai, holding your arms up to allow it to dry completely first. After 1-2 weeks, you can wean your underarms off the ACV mixture.
We promise these tips will be worth it in the long run. They ensure that your body is working with your natural deodorant, giving you the best possible results. It’s also important to remember why you’re choosing a natural deodorant instead of antiperspirant. Living a natural lifestyle does take work, but the work is worth the rewards. When using natural products, you know what you are putting into your body is safe and allows your body to do what its naturally meant to do. (We’re talking about sweat.) What’s important to remember during your natural deodorant journey is that every body is different. You know your body better than anyone else on the planet, so listen to it and use what it’s telling you to make the best choices.